What do I believe?
Objectives of the Lesson
At the end of this Lesson, the participant will:
- Know what we believe as Christians who are Presbyterians.
- Make a conscious effort to commit the Apostles’ Creed to memory with the aim of reciting it by the next session.
Mainstream Christianity has, over the years, sought to present its beliefs in “creeds.” The word comes from the Latin, “Credo” which translates “I believe.”
Creeds are often crafted and adopted to clarify aspects of Christian belief that become the subject of controversy, and, therefore, threaten to disturb the unity of the Church.
Since the second century, there have been several creeds, the most widely known ones include, the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed.
Let us carefully consider the words of the Apostles’ Creed, which is one of the earliest.
- I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY;
- MAKER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH; (Genesis 1)
- AND IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD;
- WHO WAS CONCEIVED OF THE HOLY SPIRIT;
- BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY;
- SUFFERED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE;
- WAS CRUCIFIED, DIED, AND WAS BURIED.
- HE DESCENDED INTO HELL.
- THE THIRD DAY HE AROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD;
- HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN,
- AND SITS AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY;
- FROM THENCE HE SHALL COME TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD. (John 1:10-16, 1 Timothy 1: 14-15)
- I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT; (John 14:15-17)
- THE HOLY CATHOLIC CHURCH; (Ephesians 5:25-27)
- THE COMMUNION OF SAINTS; (Hebrews 10:25)
- THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS; (1 John 1:8-9)
- THE RESURRECTION OF THE BODY; (1 Thessalonians 4:13-17)
- AND LIFE EVERLASTING. (1 Thessalonians 4:17)
Main Message: God Manifests Himself as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
After reading the information and watching the video, go to the quiz for this topic and check your understanding and newly found knowledge
Now go to the Puzzle to have some brain excercise to make you grounded in this topic. when you are not sure about anything, come back to the text or rewatch the video as a reminder.
- What does the Apostles’ Creed highlight about our belief?
We believe in One God in Three Persons – The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit
- The Apostles’ Creed is the Statement of the Christians Faith. What is the Christian’s statement of Faith, according to the Apostles’ Creed?
It is the Statement of the Christian’s Faith in:
- ONE GOD IN THREE PERSONS – THE FATHER, THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT
- THE FATHER – ALMIGHTY CREATOR
- JESUS THE SON – BECAME HUMAN, DIED, RESURRECTED SO THAT WE MAY HAVE FORGIVENESS OF SINS AND SALVATION
- THE HOLY SPIRIT – THE CHRISTIANS COMPANION FOR RIGHTEOUS LIVING
- THE CHURCH – THE BODY OF CHRIST
- Why the need for the Apostles’ Creed?
- THE EARLY CHURCH FACED CHALLENGES IN EXPLAINING THE FAITH
- THE CREED IS A SUMMARY OF WHAT CHRISTIANS BELIEVE
- Why the need to memorise and recite the Apostles’ Creed?
- TO KEEP US REMINDED OF WHAT WE BELIEVE AS CHRISTIANS